Wednesday 20 May 2009. Corpus Christi College, Seminar Room.
Morning (from 9.30 am) : Transfer of Classical Knowledge
- Sebastian Brock (Oxford), From Aesop to Aristotle : Syriac tastes in Greek literature (resp. Claudia Rapp)
- Peter Pormann (Warwick), The formation of medical Arabic : translating terms, incorporating concepts (resp. Simon Swain)
- Benjamin Jokisch (Freiburg), Legal translation in the early Abbasid caliphate (resp. Caroline Humfress)
Afternoon (from 2.30 pm) : Administration and Trade
- Denise Aigle (Paris), Multilingualism in the Mongol empire : diplomatic practice (resp. Judith Pfeiffer)
- Peter Bang (Copenhagen), 'Lost in translation' - the Roman Bazaar and the organisation of trade in a multilingual empire (resp. Andrew Wilson)
- Roger Bagnall, Conclusions
Attendance at the workshop is free (including a sandwich lunch) ; but all who wish to attend must, by Friday 15 May, inform email@example.com
The workshop is organised by Arietta Papaconstantinou, and supported by the John Fell Fund, the Corpus Classics Centre, and the Oxford Centre for Late Antiquity.
Source : OCLA.