Source : Macquarie University, Faculty of Arts.
Macquarie University is pleased to offer two scholarships for International Students to study online in the Master of Arts program in Coptic Studies for the academic years 2010-2011. The Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and cover international tuition fees for study in the M.A. in Coptic Studies degree (total value : $AUD 22,000-24,000). Applications from international students from all countries will be accepted, however, for one scholarship, preference will be given to elligible candidates from Egypt.
The scholarships aim at attracting outstanding students from around the world to the study of Egyptian Christianity and the Coptic language. Macquarie University offers Coptic Studies as an independent M.A. degree by coursework. The program covers Coptic History, Language, Art, Archaeology and Egyptian Monasticism. This degree is unique in that it can be completed entirely by online study. Course materials, including lectures and lecture notes, are delivered to the students via the websites and via the electronic reserve of Macquarie University Library. The assignments and essays are submitted, marked and returned electronically.
Who is eligible ?
Applicants must :
- Be a citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand. Permanent residents of Australia or New Zealand are not eligible.
- Hold a B.A. degree or equivalent from recognised institutions (a degree in Coptic Studies or any other historical subject is not a prerequisite). In exceptional cases previous experience in the field of Coptic Studies can be considered as an equivalent to a B.A.
- Have met the University's academic and English requirements for the program.
- Have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0).
- Have not undertaken the same level or higher level of study previously.
- Not currently hold another major scholarship or award.
- Not be enrolled currently at Macquarie University for a program which is equivalent in level.
- Not be enrolled currently in the Coptic Studies program.
How to apply ?
The applications will be evaluated on academic merit by a selection committee. To be considered for the scholarship, please send the following documents to Dr Malcolm Choat, Department of Ancient History by e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- a curriculum vitae
- copies of academic transcripts and diplomas
- the names and contact details of two referees : if your application is shortlisted, they will be asked to provide reports which give information on your academic ability and relevant experience in relation to this program
- a 1000 word essay in English setting out the reasons for considering yourself to be a suitable candidate for the award of this scholarship.
What happens if you are shortlisted ?
- The selection committee will forward a shortlist of candidates to the international scholarships committee.
- The shortlisted candidates will be invited to submit an application to the M.A. program to Macquarie International and complete an online Macquarie University International Scholarship (MUIS) application.
- Instructions will be set out with the notification of being shortlisted. This is necessary to ensure that candidates are formally eligible for both the scholarship and the M.A. program. Other documentation may be asked for at this point as proof of citizenship.
- Successful candidates will be notified by the Scholarship Selection Committee before the beginning of each semester. A certificate will be sent stating that the scholarship has been awarded.
Closing date for applications :
- Closing date for applications for Semester 1, 2010 (to start the degree in late February, 2010) is October 15, 2009.
Need more information ?
On the degree :
- Visit the website of the Coptic Studies program at Macquarie University.
- Write to the teaching staff, Dr Malcolm Choat : email@example.com
On the course application and enrolment procedure :
Write to Macquarie International, Julie Karni, International Student Scholarship Advisor : firstname.lastname@example.org or contact email@example.com